What are tokens?
Summary of Advantages
Classic and new technologies can be used simultaneously with the same licenses. No double
paid maintenance during the 3-4 years migration/modernization
No reservation of product-specific licenses.
No "shelfware" of tools that are no longer used. Different projects can be supported from a central token pool, or a token can be transferred between different servers to compensate for changed license requirements.
Avoid planning errors from the beginning to obtain many or not enough licenses for a specific product. If additional tokens are required during a contract period, the token pool can be easily expanded.
Additional products can be added to an existing token pool at no additional cost.
Unlimited switching and access between all token-based products - 100% Mix & Match
Introduction to Token Licensing
Tokens are the most flexible method of licensing. It is floating licenses where each license feature has a pre defined token value replacing the static quantity. It’s available for selected SW products and available as Fixed Term only.
In a token environment each product consumes a pre defined token value and not a predefined quantity per license as it does in a traditional floating environment. The license key holds a pool of tokens from which the license server automatically calculates the tokens being checked in and out. Tokens are consumed / released when a product checks in/out licenses from the license server according to the same rules as the equivalent traditional floating license works.
From a user perspective it is like a floating environment. When a license is requested the license server will automatically calculate and release required license as long as there is a sufficient number of Tokens available. If there are not enough tokens available, the user will not be able to continue the operation until someone else releases a product that will free up tokens to use.
Technically, token licenses works similar to floating licensing. However, there is a difference when it comes to the way the license checks out for consumption.
- Tokens allow you to maintain a pool of tokens per server(s), across users and across tokenized products.
- Tokens are managed in License Key Center (LKC) and handled like a product package which makes it easier to manage.
- Tokens is a license control mechanism not a different software
- Token licensing require minimum Rational Common License Server version 8.1.x
- Token licensing require that the software versions on the client machines to be on a token supported version
- Authorized User license may not be mixed with token
- Token licenses are not be locked to a dongle
- Tokens do not allow Borrowing capability
- Mixing regular floating and token licenses on the same license server is not recommended